Since its inception in 1964, Hectorville Sports and Community Club (Heccies) has developed into an engaging sporting organisation, providing the opportunity for community involvement in many sporting and social activities.
The facilities (built in 1981) at its headquarters at 31 Fisher Street Magill were the considered to be of good quality. The magnificent two-storey clubroom complex overlooks Daly Oval, which nestles in picturesque surroundings of plush green lawns, paved walkways and an adventure playground, with the Adelaide Hills providing a superb backdrop. Some 725 people are directly registered in senior and junior sporting activities played throughout the year. The sports offered are Australian Rules Football, Cricket, Tennis and Netball. A total of approximately 1,700 people are associated with the club either through sport, parent roles, social or community groups.
Heccies commenced from a tin shed on the Daly Oval with after match functions held at members’ homes, and then proceeded to purchase a housing trust home across the road in Fisher Street as its first official club-house. During this period it became apparent that the off ground facilities were limiting development and expansion for the ever increasing number of patrons. In 1981, the club built the existing home of Heccies on the Daly Oval site which, at the time, was the envy of all sporting clubs in the area. In recent years, the club has undertaken a number of refurbishment projects which were needed to re-invigorate the club and continues to deliver winning performances both on and off the field.
Notable Achievements and Accreditations
- 2013 – Australian Drug Foundation National Winner Good Sports Club of the Year
- Level 3 (Highest Level) Good Sports Club www.goodsports.com.au
- StarClub through the Office for Recreation and Sport SA
- Member Clubs SA
The MISSION for the HECTORVILLE SPORTS AND COMMUNITY CLUB is … ‘to promote and provide sporting, leisure and recreational activities to the local community through the development of our facilities, services and programs to become the local club of choice’
Consistent with these aims, Heccies will place considerable value in providing an environment:
- That is welcoming, safe and functional for both adults and children
- Is recognised as a community organisation which promotes to deliver an environment that is free from harassment and abuse for everyone incorporating respect, fun and friendship
- Engages community involvement through affordable and competitive opportunities